Did you see Chef Serge on his recent appearance on KARK Channel 4? He is continuing his culinary trip around the Mediterranean with this Shakshuka dish, a tomato and pepper stew with poached eggs is a great vegetarian option for breakfast. Serve it on top of a toasted piece of bread for a quick, easy meal. And, perhaps most importantly, it’s not only delicious it’s beautiful!
- 2 Tbls. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. sweet paprika
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. Aleppo pepper or red pepper
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 6 vine-ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 2 Tbls. tomato paste
- 5 large eggs
- Fresh parsley and mint, garnish
- Heat 2 tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add the onions and green peppers and saute for 4 to 5 minutes until soft.
- Add garlic and spices and saute for another 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and diced tomatoes and simmer until the tomato mixture begins to reduce, about 10-12 minutes
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Gently crack the eggs into the mixture, keeping the egg yolks and whites together but not scrambled.. Cover and reduce heat until eggs look poached and are done to your preferred doneness, between two to three minutes.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and mint, if desired, and serve